[GNC] Confused by report "Price Source" when recording bills in a foreign currency

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Mar 28 04:05:00 EDT 2019

James,

If I’m not mistaken, I recall a discussion in the last 6 months or so that average/weighted is ‘broken’. That it reports the correct figures may be a transient phenomenon as you fear. (I’ll admit, I don’t have the thread handy and it could be that ’Nearest in time’ is the one that is broken - it might be on the devel list, so look there if you don’t find it in the user archives.)

’Nearest in time’ should be the source you want because the report will look for the exchange rate closest to the date of the actual transaction it is including in the calculations. Since you have actual transactions using a particular exchange rate, it should pull those figures exactly.

That should be the default. (It is for me and I can’t seem to find a preference setting for it, short of saving a report configuration.)

‘Most Recent’ is definitely not what you want and would use the most current exchange rate. (perhaps useful for a Balance Sheet, not so much for a P&L)

I personally haven’t seen any issues with ’Nearest in time’.

Regards,
Adrien