[GNC] help lost data file

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Sun Mar 31 22:35:04 EDT 2019

> On Mar 31, 2019, at 5:17 PM, Eric Rathhaus office <eric at ewrlaw.com> wrote:
>
> Hello - I just downloaded version 3.4. When I opened for 1st time, everything was fine and I began entering transactions into an account ledger.  I wanted to save these transactions but the save button was greyed out.  I thought maybe I needed to point to the correct data file.  When I used “open” from the file menu, and pend the normal base data file, it in fact was old and had no transactions after 2013.  Now I cannot find my data.  All suggestions welcome.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Eric W. Rathhaus
> Law Office of Eric W. Rathhaus
> 484 Lake Park Avenue, Suite 50
> Oakland, CA 94610
> 415.577.0920 tel
> 415.737.0603 fax
>
> www.ewrlaw.com
>
> Confidentiality :
>
> The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the information in this message, and/or the name(s) of the person(s) it is addressed to, is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by returning this email to us.  If that is not possible, we will reimburse you for any costs in returning this message to us through other means.

When you started GnuCash it opened the last file you had used. If you entered transactions into it and that didn't light up the "save" button then you were using a SQL backend, probably SQLite3 because otherwise you would have been asked for a password. When you opened the other file that closed the one you were working on.

No matter, just click the File menu. At the bottom you'll find the last files you used up to 4 in order of use. Just pick the second one on the list and it will be your "other" file.

Regards,
John Ralls