[GNC] Equity Calculation on the Balance Sheet

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed May 1 14:05:00 EDT 2019

Tom,

I just re-read over this reply and have few things you may want to consider:

Assuming you still don’t have any entries this year in AP,

1. What is the date of the Balance Sheet you are running? (end of 2018? today?)

2. Are there any future posted transactions in the AP register, if you see a blue line between any two transactions, the ones below it are in the future.

3. Have you entered *anything* manually in the AP register? (pre-payments?)

4. The lots might all be matched, but have you verified that they are matched correctly?

-----

1. is what I meant by ‘dates’ being an issue. The BS will only agree with the register if it is on the same (or later) date. It certainly wouldn’t agree with it if the BS was for a date where there are later transactions in the register.

2. considering #1, future transactions would then certainly make the two not agree unless you ran the BS for a date that would include those future transactions in the calculation.

3. The Business Features are not cognizant of any manually entered transactions in AP. While the BS should see them, I don’t know what that report code actually looks at. (It should simply grab the AP balance) Certainly the Aging report wouldn’t see such entries.

4. At one time, I was making a mess of my AR & AP accounts by unposting and reposting historical invoices because I was adding info I didn’t think to record previously. (and refactoring some expense and revenue accounts) While GnuCash tries to keep up and re-apply payments correctly, sometimes it gets it wrong, especially if there are outstanding pre-payments yet to be applied. At one time, I found a situation that after manually fixing many lot assignments and re-applying payments, I must have made a mess of things and had some duplicate payment lots. (not really sure exactly how that happened) I had to walk back through the register and the lots window transaction by transaction, bill by bill, invoice by invoice, and payment by payment to get it all straight. I know that sounds daunting, but a full lot review (not just a cursory glance) may be in order. If you do so, pay special attention to lot dates on payments as one or more may show up more than once on different bills.

-----

Finally, or maybe something to look for first, the difference between the two figures is $382.10. Do you have any transactions (in any account or missing from any account) for that exact amount? (you have a missing entry error, a double posting error, or an account assignment error)

For exactly half that amount $191.05? (you have this debit/credit backwards)

The difference isn’t divisible by 9 so it isn’t a transposition error, and it isn’t 3, 30, 300 so it isn’t a 10-key error.

Does the AP balance reported by the BS of $465.75 appear as the exact balance of the account at the end of *any* transaction in the AP Register? If so, transactions after this one are suspect.

Regards,
Adrien