[GNC] * Unsaved book - Gnucash

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Thu May 2 17:44:55 EDT 2019

> On 2 May 2019, at 21:59, Michael Hendry <hendry.michael at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2 May 2019, at 00:47, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>>
>> I sure hope so.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>
> Thanks, John.
>
> Encouraged by your confidence in 3.5, I downloaded and installed it this afternoon, from here:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/
>
> Having mounted the DMG file (Gnucash-Intel-3.5-1.dmg) I dragged and dropped the Gnucash.app across to the Applications folder, and ran it from there on my current (version 3.4) file.
>
> On the first run Gnucash shut down without any apparent reason (this seems to be a common finding), but I ran it again and entered a few transactions without trouble.
>
> I saved and closed the file as normal.
>
> When next I opened the same file the account registers were opened as I had left them, but the program wouldn’t respond at all, and the menu bar had none of the usual menu items, just the Apple symbol and “Gnucash”.
>
> I was unable to shut Gnucash down using the usual methods, so had to Force Quit, and when I tried again I got the file lock warning - I said Open Anyway, but the result was the same.
>
> I’ve since tried opening the same file with version 3.4, but that behaved in exactly the same way.
>
> I’ve also tried downloading and reinstalling 3.5-1, with no change in the outcome.
>
> Where do I go from here?
>
> Michael Hendry

PS Panic over!

I removed all files created after the last known good .gnucash backup file - MDH.gnucash.20190502173103.gnucash - to a safe place.

I then started Gnucash 3.4 in the normal way, and opened this backup file when prompted for a filename.

I made a couple of entries, saved as MDH.gnucash and Quit Gnucash.

This time I was able to open the resulting file with Gnucash 3.5, make an entry, save and exit in the normal way.

I’ll keep a careful eye on developments over the next few days.

Regards,

Michael Hendry