[GNC] undo close?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue May 7 08:56:05 EDT 2019

Hi,

ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> If you accidentally hit "Close", is there a way to undo it other
> than from backup (which is what I did)?

Which "close" did you accidentally hit, and where did you "hit" it?
There are several options that come to mind:

1) The "Close Book" Tools-menu item
2) The [x] in the upper corner of the window (usually top-right in the
   titlebar area).  This is the window-manager "close" and can cause
   GnuCash to exit.
3) The [x] in the tools-icon-row, which closes the current tab

In the case of '2', it will close all tabs in the window.  If this is
the only window you have open, it will exit gnucash.

In the case of '3', it depends which window/tab you were in when you hit
the button.

It SOUNDS like you did '3' in the Chart of Accounts tab.  GnuCash
*TRIES* to prevent you from doing this, but if you have multiple windows
open you can still get it to happen.  In this case, going to View -> New
Accounts Page will create a new Chart of Accounts tab.

Note that there is NOTHING you can do in the GnuCash window to delete
your data en-masse.  So there is no reason to have to "restore from
backup" here.

Hope this helps,

> Many thanks,
> -T

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745