[GNC] List Spam (was: Need loan to upgrade my truck)

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed May 8 15:19:47 EDT 2019

At Wed, 8 May 2019 11:58:30 -0500 Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> Considering the ’name’ and the email address are both names but they are different, I’d say that is a fair guess. The slight rambling tone and the plug link was what first tipped me off.
>
> I just got a personal spam e-mail yesterday from someone claiming they couldn’t access the list and wanted help fixing that. (presumably they had been using and posting to the list prior) I knew they weren’t legit when I did a site search for their e-mail address. Nothing came up. Had they ever posted a message, I’d have gotten a hit. (I searched parts of my own address just to verify) I must say, it was fairly cleverly designed, even with a screenshot of the Mailman login page. I already know that non-members posting to the list get sent to a moderator queue where the message can be deleted or sent through. (happened to me a few times when I accidentally replied or posted from the wrong e-mail account) So even sending the same message to the list itself, would be seen by the moderator who would be the one to offer list help. (or see that the name/e-mail address aren’t in the Mailman user base)
>
> Not sure how the scam/phish is supposed to work since I just deleted it, but perhaps other members should be aware of it.

It is based on the assumption that the receiver (eg you) is dumb enough to
randomly click on the link(s) provided.

There is some assumption that many "webmasters" are actually people who are
people with a WordPress blog and are not technically savy and will fall for a
message like that.  Or else there is the assumption that random members of a
mailman list are not technically savy and will fall for a message like that.
Of course, sometimes the message goes to someone who is technically savy and
then the scam/phish fails...

The scammers and spammers are getting cleverer and cleverer and are trying to
get ahead of the spam detection software (both silicon and biological)...

> Regards,
> Adrien

> > [snip]
> >>
> >> Dear Mr. Munday,
> >>
> >> Sorry, you've stumbled into the wrong list. We discuss a Free
> >> accounting program called GnuCash here. We emphatically do not offer
> >> financial advice.
> >
> > I am sitting here wondering if the original message was just an
> > elaborate spam email?
> >
> >> Regards,
> >> John Ralls

> > -derek

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933