[GNC] Need help reconciling

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon May 13 10:21:55 EDT 2019

Hi,

ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> writes:

> okay, I am just not understanding.
>
> In the reconcile window
>
> 1) I presume "Statement Date" is my statement's closing
>    date?

Correct.

> 1) the statement date matches my bank statement

Good.

> 2) starting balance is 0 (it is not)

I assume this is your first time reconciling in GnuCash?  If so, that is
correct.  In general you can safely ignore the starting balance -- if
there is a difference it means something "earlier" is not properly
reconciled so you will need to click off "extra" stuff.

> 3) Ending Balance matches my statement

Good.  If it doesn't you need to enter in the correct ending balance
from your statement.

> 4) there is a -$700 reconcile Balance.

I presume there is a $700 opening balance in the account?  Just
reconcile that the first time, too.

> I just do not understand

Reconciliation is always "from the beginning of time through the end
date".  This means that the first time you reconcile an account you need
to also include the opening balance transaction in the reconcile
process.

Going forward you wont have to do that, because the starting balance
*should* match your account statement.

Hope this helps!

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745