[GNC] Problem with saving to NAS Drive

John Underwood infognucashforum at theunderwoods.org.uk
Sat May 18 13:08:57 EDT 2019

I came accross this problem today after several years of using GNUCash with
files housed on Network drives (Not usually NAS but drives on other network
computers). In fact, I suspect but cannot be completely certain, that I have
never stored a GNUCash file on, or retreieved one from, a local drive.I
found a workaround for the problem, using two very simple procedures:
Uninstall and Install. In uninstalled GNUCash 3.5 and installed GGNU Cash
3.3 (From which I had "upgraded" earlier - 3.4 showed the same  problem).Now
I am back to where I have been for several years. The impossible today
appears to have been the normal in the very recent past. I can now open a
network GNUCash file and GNUCash opens and displaye it.This is not a
solution! I am reliant on a version of GNUCash which is no longer supported.
Apart from other problems which will not be solved for me, there is the
security problem. My tolerance of errors in security is very low. Unless
this problem can be dealt with in the near future, I will have to consider
tha possibility of an alternative accounting package (with the effort
involved in coversion to it) simply because GNUCash, in spit of its
excellent qualities, does not meet my essential operational requirements.
And that, in spite of the additional costs of a non-open source product.This
is not a uestion of a conflict between Windows and Unix. The issue is
concerned with the standards for file (and path) naming which have long
included a hostname. It is my contention that GNUCash was compliant in
version 3.3 but is not in 3.4 or 3.5.
John Ralls-2 wrote