[GNC] Revisit Topic: Reimbursable Expenses

Steven Morrison slmorrison at earthlink.net
Thu May 23 13:05:58 EDT 2019

I read available email threads and the manual regarding posting payment
for reimbursable expenses, but I'm still not "getting it".

My account structure is set up with an asset level account called
Reimbursables (should this be an Income:Reimbursables account?). I
create an invoice that splits fees for Services and Reimbursables
(mileage, airfare, etc.) and post the invoice. All of my expenses are
charged through a single business credit card. The invoice is handled
through a billing service, so when I get paid, I get a check that may
pay me for both Services and reimbursements from different invoices, and
those accounts and amounts are broken out for me on a statement.

I pay off the reimbursable charges on the credit card from a business
account prior to being reimbursed.  When I deposit the check I process
the payment in Gnucash, splitting the payment for Services into Accounts
Receivable (this gets posted to my business checking account so that is
OK) and payment for reimbursed expenses into the Reimbursables account.
The problem of course, is that this does not account for the fact that
these were charged to a credit card that was paid off from the business
checking account, so that account never gets credited for the credit
card payment.  So I'm missing something here.  Anybody out there willing
to clue me in?

Thanks

SLM