[GNC] Libre Office question - worth a shot

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu May 23 16:39:30 EDT 2019

Steve,

In LO preferences, set links to update Automatically (for trusted sources)
Under Macro Security, make sure you are *not* using the “Very High” setting, “High" or less is fine.
Then under Macro Security, Trusted Sources, in the file section, add a local path where your files are stored. (I just added /, which might not be safe, but it is fine for me, also, adding a path isn’t necessary with the Low security setting)

Now, when you open the file with the links, it will simply update them without asking.

If you want to have the links update without having to close and re-open a file, such as having both spreadsheets open at the same time and getting changes in one while updating the other, then instead of copy/pasting or using normal references to other files, use the DDE feature:

https://help.libreoffice.org/index.php?title=Calc/Spreadsheet_Functions&Language=en-GB&System=WIN&Version=5.1#bm_id3154680

Now, when you edit the source file and save it (that’s important) when you click in the file with the links, they will auto-update. The help document linked above says you have to use File > Reload (or close, open) but I just tested this and it works simply by making that window active. (this might be a preference I set and forgot about however)

Note the limitation that cross-platform links are not allowed using DDE. (you can’t link a Linux spreadsheet from a Windows spreadsheet)

Unfortunately, LO does not have a keyboard shortcut for Reload, or Edit > Links > Update, either of which would be very convenient and get you the same ease of use without DDE.

Regards,
Adrien