[GNC] Cannot run v3 on Windows 7 since a year

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon May 27 09:53:58 EDT 2019

Unfortunately I can't interpret the Sysinternals stuff either.

Will gnucash 3.x start for a different user on your system ? That is, can you
log in as a user that never has used gnucash before and then try to start
gnucash ?

If it does, it may be tripping over some metadata on your PC or the metadata
migration, can you test the following:
- locate the .gnucash directory in your user's home directory
  This is typically c:\Users\<your-user-name>\.gnucash
- rename this directory to something else, like .gnucash.bkp
- locate the %appdata%\GnuCash directory and rename it as well to something
like GnuCash.bkp
- then install gnucash 3.5 and see if it starts.

Let us know if gnucash starts under these conditions.
Note this is not intended to be your final setup! It will be missing your
saved reports, any open reports and tabs and other settings.
It's a first start in trying to narrow down where it goes wrong.

Potentially a gdb backtrace could also shed a bit more light. As you had
Cygwin installed before, you may reinstall it and then use it to install gdb.
Next run gnucash from within gdb.

Geert