[GNC] ofxtools - a Python OFX library

csingley csingley at gmail.com
Tue May 28 10:10:18 EDT 2019

Some of you might be interested in a project I've been working on:

https://pypi.org/project/ofxtools/

This originally started almost 10 years ago when I asked Jeremy Jongsma if
he minded if I reworked his ofx.py script (he didn't).  One thing led to
another, and I ended up implementing a superset of libofx in Python (as you
do).  It's grown into a sort of a Swiss army knife for dealing with OFX
data.

Y'all are all hooked up with AqBanking, so I suppose you don't have much
need of the meat of the library.  However I have recently been beefing up
the client utility, which might be of interest to those trying to set up
connections to download OFX data.  It contains a listing of every FI from
the old MS Money database that's still online, along with working connection
parameters (URL, OFX version, ORG, FID, BROKERID, along with oddball markup
formatting requirements for FIs like Vanguard).  You can use this to set up
AqBanking direct connect, or download the data directly.

ofxtools can generate OFX, so it's pretty handy for writing conversion
utilities from other formats into OFX so the data can be imported.  It can
also edit OFX data, so it can be helpful in standardizing the bizarre
variety of protocol implementation quirks seen at various FIs.  Working in
Python makes it pretty easy to develop something that works.

I hope an announcement on this list isn't in poor taste - it's certainly no
kind of commercial solicitation.  I just hope to make it easier for users of
free software to get access to their financial data, and for developers to
work with it.  Feedback is welcome.

Cheers, and thanks to the GnuCash developers for continuing to produce great
software.