[GNC] ofxtools - a Python OFX library

csingley csingley at gmail.com
Tue May 28 12:18:09 EDT 2019

John Ralls-2 wrote

> Thanks.
>
> A couple of things you might be interested in: We use AQBanking for OFX
> Direct Connect imports, but if you import an OFX or QFX file we use
> https://github.com/libofx/libofx.
>
> The other is that there's a more up-to-date database of OFX Direct-Connect
> supporting institutions at https://ofxhome.com. AQBanking retrieves its
> connection parameters from there.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

libofx is great, and certainly much faster than my parser.  On the other
hand, ofxtools can generate arbitrary OFX, and I believe covers
significantly more of the spec.  Different tasks, different tools.

OFX Home is where I pulled down the FI data for ofxtools (I've been talking
to Jesse about it - he provides a great service).  I walked through every FI
he's got, recording connection parameters that resulted in receiving an OFX
profile response.  Some of them have odd formatting requirements, like SGML
must not have closing tags on leaf elements, or XML must have newlines
inserted between tags.  This database is included in ofxtools, and is the
part I imagine would be most immediately useful to GnuCash users.... very
easy to configure OFX downloads, with settings that can be transferred to
GnuCash.   It would be great if some of this information were published
through the OFX Home API.

One of these days I'm going to set up wireshark and capture an updated list
of URL/FI/ORG parameters for OFX servers that Quicken knows about...