[GNC] More Startup Questions

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue May 28 21:02:11 EDT 2019

> On May 28, 2019, at 7:34 PM, Peter088 <Peter088 at PeterMacDonough.Com> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone,
>

> A few more intro questions:
>

> 1)      I don't like the "softer" contrast in the new release.  Is there any
> way to change the look to the old one?

See the wiki about custom colors and such. You can create a custom CSS file where you can change some colors for the various parts of the app.

> 2)      Is it true that to create custom reports, you have to be able to
> program?

‘Custom’ yes, you’ll need to be able to program in Scheme. But more than likely, the included reports can be ‘customized’ via built-in options to achieve what you are looking for, no need for programming.

What report specifically are you looking for and can’t seem to find?

> 3)      Is it possible to create Quicken-like reports with variable
> reporting periods that can be changed on the fly or must the periods be
> hard-coded?

The default periods for many reports is ‘current accounting period’ so they’ll change automatically. But that is usually defined as 1 year in your preferences, not one month. You can of course use the options to set up monthly reports to ‘current month’ and save that configuration. If you run the reports in different months, you’ll get different numbers. Explore the various report options and play around with them. The date selectors can be exact or ‘fuzzy’ to current/last and then month/quarter/year.

> 4)      Is there any way to export GNUCash data to a .QIF file?

I think CSV is the only option. Though there may be a CSV to QIF converter somewhere on the web. However, Quicken should be able to import CSV also.

Regards,
Adrien