[GNC] Misc Newbie Questions

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue May 28 21:13:57 EDT 2019

> On May 28, 2019, at 7:04 PM, Peter088 <Peter088 at PeterMacDonough.Com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

> I'm a recent convert from Quicken.  I apologize for dragging my expectations
> with me, but there are a few things I can't figure out how to do.  Perhaps
> these are not possible.  They are mostly small, so I thought I'd include
> them in one email instead of killing e-trees:
>

> 1)      How can you enter a scheduled transaction before it's due date?
> (Used to check cash flow)

See the Help Manual and Guide. You can enter future transactions manually and run reports to include those future dates, or you can enter Scheduled Transactions which haven’t fired yet, and run a report to show you the effects as if they did.

> 2)      Why don't backspace and delete work sometimes, even in the text
> fields?

They should. What version are you using and on what OS? There were some bugs in earlier 3.x releases, but they should have been fixed by 3.5, the current release.

> 3)      What is my "working register?'  (This is what you close and open
> instead of closing and opening GNUCash to bump the internal calendar date)

There shouldn’t be a need to close and open anything to change the date. Just change the date. I leave GC open 24/7. While the next empty transaction’s date won’t change automatically, once you enter a current day’s transaction and change the date manually, the next empty transaction will default to the current system date.

If you like to leave GC open, but don’t want to ever be bothered with manually changing a date for a current-day transaction, just don’t leave a register open across midnight. When you open the register the next day, the default day in the empty transaction will be current.

But the ‘working register’ is whatever account register you have open at the time. So if you have your checking account register up, that is your ‘working register’. (you can have many open at once, but only the active tab is the ‘working’ one.

> 4)      How can you change the order of the items in a split?

You can type them in any order, but GC will default to re-ordering them as debits first. I don’t think there is a way around this. (the debits will stay in their as-entered order and credits in their order however)

> 5)      Is there any way to mark a transaction as reconciled ("y") without
> going through the reconciliation process?

Nope. That’s the whole point. Reconciliation is not a per-transaction process, it is for a group of transactions against a set balance. (though I guess technically, any period could have only 1 transaction in it) You *can* mark an split as ‘cleared’ which means when you reconcile, it will be checked off for you by default.

Regards,
Adrien