[GNC] How should I enter values on a budget in gnucash ?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Nov 4 09:02:31 EST 2019

Michael,

Of course, I understand your points.

I was speaking specifically from the perspective of the budgeting module.

Budgeting to put cash in savings, investment, or other asset, or peg it to equity doesn’t (with some minor exceptions) change what you have available to spend, it just changes its location/form. (which would be more in line with the term ’transfer’ as used in the summary section)

Paying a liability *does* decrease your spendable cash. So from a budgeting perspective that isn’t really a ’transfer’ as it appears the summary line intends.

Budgeting allots inflows. It isn’t about double-entry balancing. You don’t even need to allocate everything, or even determine from whence it came.

The summary section could also read “Inflows, Outflows, Transfers, Total” and convey the same info.

Chris,

Maybe those would be better terms to avoid confusion that budgeting has to be double-entry? It would also more properly describe the budgeting process and its purpose, where the registers/ledger handle the double-entry of the actual activity.

Regards,
Adrien