[GNC] How to create Report on Checking & Exclude one Entity ?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Nov 10 19:06:03 EST 2019

Adrien,

What regex implementation do you know of that has negating patterns? None of the ones I know do.

The Transaction report uses Guile regex which just wraps whatever libc/msvcrt was used to compile it, generally POSIX Enhanced. It doesn't support negating patterns and doesn't have an option to find transactions that don't match the provided pattern. IIRC libc regexes also don't support UTF8 character classes though they'll match explicit UTF8 characters of the same normalization just because the bytes are the same.

The find dialog uses glib pcre (perl-compatible regular expressions) which are considerably more powerful than POSIX ones but also don't have negating patterns. However the Find dialog has a "doesn't match" setting. Other bits of GnuCash use boost::regexes, which understands perl regex syntax. We don't use the C++ standard library because it doesn't support UTF8.

Regards,
John Ralls