[GNC] How to create Report on Checking & Exclude one Entity ?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Nov 11 09:32:23 EST 2019

> On Nov 10, 2019 w46d314, at 6:50 PM, Fran_3 <mailbox0600 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Adrian, Thanks for the response.
>
> I have to admit I have done regular expressions... but I often tire of the fight... as I ultimately did in this case.
>
> My solution in this particular case was to port the gnuCash check register into a spreadsheet and manipulate it from there to exclude the target entity and ultimately get the desired result.
>
> Fran3
>
> PS - I did try running a Transaction Report on Checking and then hit Ctl F and searched the Description for the entity name using the "does not match regex" option... but the results were confusing to  me...

Sorry, I meant run a Find and then Account Report *instead* of a transaction report. The only reason to do so though would be to search on other than Description, Notes & Memo (all) or if doing it in the transaction report doesn’t work, but in a Find does.

But you’ll probably get more mileage trying to figure out the ‘positive’ set that you are looking for and create a search/report based on that criteria.

> Actually I was unsure if I should just enter the entity name in the "does notmatch regex" search field...
>
> or if I should enter a regular expression...

You should enter a regular expression.

> but just entering the entity name... Vendor X... didn't seem to return all checking transactions except those to/from Vendor X.

It won’t as noted if you use the regex option. You need the expression.

Regards,
Adrien