[GNC] Problem with reconciling

John Bonnett jbonnett at internode.on.net
Fri Nov 15 18:05:54 EST 2019

I had a problem like this a while back and a helpful suggestion from the list sorted me out. It was to do with a "phantom screen" as suggested. The problem also showed up as Scheduled transactions not showing up in registers as well.

I am running Windows 10 and I have two screens. One is my TV in the next room which I occasionally send videos to.

The symptoms I had with reconcile were similar to what has been described. What was actually happening was one of the reconcile dialogs was appearing on the screen in the other room, even though it was not actually turned on. I didn't immediately notice that the little pop-up window would show when you hover over the GC icon on the task bar. With Scheduled transactions, what was happening was the "Since Last Run" dialog was appearing on the invisible screen and, because I was not acknowledging it, the transactions would not appear in the registers but would accumulate in that dialog.

The fix is fairly easy once you know what is happening and applies to many other apps than GC.

When you hover over that task bar icon and can see the little image of the missing window, click on it. Now you don't see anything  when you do that, but you have just made that invisible window the selected one. You can now bring that window to your visible display using the keyboard. My invisible window was to the left (you can move the displays around in "Display Settings") so I need to move it to the right, so I key Win-Shift-Right and the missing dialog appears. Of course if it needs to move to the left, use Win-Shift-Left. Win is that special "Windows" key and Left and Right are the arrow keys.

This is not a GnuCash problem and applies to other apps too, with a similar solution.
If you are not on Windows I am sure the other OSs have similar facilities.

John

---

Sounds like the window is on a phantom screen, still running but not visible. Have you used a second monitor on this system? I don't recall the fix for this problem...

David

BTW, operating system and Gnucash version number usually help list users help you.