[GNC] Locked out of gnucash

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 21:38:21 EST 2019

Kay,

If you happened to use the Open Read-Only option instead of the Open Anyway
option, you will not be able to use the Save option but will have to Save
As a different filename.  If you do use the Open Anyway option you should
be able to Save the file with the same filename.

David Carlson

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 7:26 PM David Cousens <davidcousens at bigpond.com>
wrote:

> Kay
>
> If GnuCash is not closed properly,e.g. a crash the .LNK and .LCK files
> created in your data directory prevent you from opening GnuCash. Section
> 2.5.3 of the Tutorial guide covers them.
>
> 2.5.3. Lock files (.LNK and .LCK)
> You may occasionally see .LNK and .LCK files appear. These do not store any
> data, but they are created to prevent more than one user from opening the
> same file at the same time. These files are automatically created when you
> open the file, to lock it so no one else can access it. When you close your
> GnuCash session or open another file, GnuCash unlocks the first data file
> by
> deleting the .LCK and .LNK files.
>
> If GnuCash crashes while you have a data file open, the .LCK and .LNK files
> are not deleted. The next time you try to open GnuCash, you will get a
> warning message that the file is locked. The warning message appears
> because
> the .LNK and .LCK files are still in your directory. It is safe to choose
> Yes to open the file, but you should delete the .LNK and .LCK files (using
> terminal window or your file manager). Once those files are deleted, you
> will not get the warning message again unless GnuCash crashes.
>
> You will need to use your file manager to delete the files with these
> extensions in the folder/directory in which your main file resides. They
> should have the same filename as your main data file but with the .LNK and
> .LCK file extensions.  My experience on Linux is that when you select Open
> Anyway, the previous .LNK and .LCK files will be deleted and new ones
> created which should then be deleted when GNucash is closed properly.
> There
> is no need to use a new file name unless you explicitly want to change the
> name of the data file.
>
> Many of GnuCash's operations automatically save data into the datafile so
> nothing may happen when you hit the Save button (it is usually greyed out
> in
> these circumstances) if you have not created data which is not saved
> implicitly.
>
> David Cousens.
>

> -----
> David Cousens