[GNC] Archiving transactions

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Nov 18 11:30:44 EST 2019

This may or may not make a difference performance-wise, and you may not prefer the result, but there is no rule that a transaction be limited to only 2 splits.

That is, if each real-world transaction affects more than two accounts, even if they could be separated, you can certainly combine them into a single transaction in GnuCash. So each might have a split to sales balanced by splits to commissions, shipping, coupons, cash, inventory, etc.

Another approach is to generate a summary transaction for each business day. Thus you’d have only 365/6 sales related transactions per year. Of course you wouldn’t have any individual sale level data in GnuCash but most accounting programs don’t track that anyway. That level of data storage to be used for reporting and analysis purposes is usually handled by other software. (point of sale, inventory, etc.)

Which (or both) you choose or if you continue as you are going now just depends on your own needs and what you want GnuCash to handle.

My personal rule of thumb is for each transaction to model the real-world activity as close as possible. If I broke up some transactions just to try to keep them at only 2 splits each, I’d have lots of extra transactions compared to reality and my activity would be harder to analyze or even audit if a mistake is found. If the transaction reflects actual activity as a single unit, it is much easier to deal with later.

Regards,
Adrien