[GNC] Removing Orphan components from transaction

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Nov 18 11:41:16 EST 2019

> On Nov 17, 2019 w47d321, at 11:14 PM, Peter West <pbw at pbw.id.au> wrote:
>
> I found a transaction in Orphan-AUD. It was a split, and the Orphan component was zero. Maybe I had forgotten part of the split, and then corrected it, leaving nothing in the Orphan-AUD account.
>
> I wanted to remove this transaction from Orphan-AUD. As I recall, I tried to remove the Orphan line from the copy of the transaction under the Orphan-AUD tab. Uh-uh. Something about the anchoring to another account.

You can’t delete a split that is for the account in the current register. (that is what anchors it to that account)

> So I went to the parent account (an asset account) of the split, and tried to delete the null Orphan-AUD line. That seemed to work.

Not sure what you mean by ‘parent account’ of the split. Which split? You’re speaking of the Orphan-AUD split and it only has Expenses as a parent.

> Back to the Orphan-AUD tab, delete this transaction as a whole. Presto! All gone.

The transaction should have been removed from the Orphan-AUD register automatically when you removed the Orphan-AUD split from another register. That is normal. But if it hadn’t yet disappeared (because the register view didn’t refresh for some reason), and then you deleted the transaction from the Orphan-AUD register, then yes - you removed the entire transaction. There should have been no need to do so.

> Bad mistake.  Deleting transaction was good to its word, and deleted the whole transaction. I lost the only references I had to the original transaction (from August).
>
> What is the correct method?

1. When you want to remove a split from a transaction do not try to do so from the same register as the split. If that is how you happened to find the transaction, right-click on one of the other splits and choose ‘jump’ which will open the transaction in that other split’s account register.

3. From the ‘jumped to’ register, either tab through and zero out the desired split or right-click the split and choose ‘Delete split’.

4. Observe that only that split is removed.

5. Re-open (or go back to the original account register) and observe that the transaction no longer shows up there since you removed the split anchoring it there. (unless there was more than one such split assigned to that account, in which case of course, it will still be there with that remaining split)

Regards,
Adrien