[GNC] A question on loans

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Thu Nov 21 17:15:28 EST 2019

On 11/21/2019 1:06 PM, Mark Phillips wrote:
> David,
>
> Thanks for your emails and explanations. What I am really looking for, is
> how to do this transaction:
>
> Increase the loan amount by $30,000 to bring it to the current value.
>
> I don't know where to put the offsetting entry for the $30,00

When opening books (creating initial balance amounts for accounts) the
opposite side of the transaction(s) would be equity. Either a whole
bunch of individual transactions or two split transactions (one for all
the debits to equity and one for all the credits). Theoretically can do
it with ONE split transaction split on both sides and just the net to
equity but that'd be hard to do correctly.

Michael D Novack

PS -- and this is NOT really a gnucash question (that answer would be
the same no matter what you used, even old fashioned pen and ink on
paper. Software like gnucash does NOT mean you don't have to learn the
fundamentals of double entry bookkeeping/accounting. The software makes
it easier to do, but you still have to know WHAT to do.