[GNC] Reconciliation

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 19:15:39 EST 2019

David Cousens,

This would be a great time to provide details on how to follow your
suggestion.  Would it be sufficient to try setting previous reconcile dates
into the reconcile dialog and see what values appear in the start and end
balances?

If there are usually no reconciled transactions in the history on the
reconcile dates, this might work, else it could get more complicated.

Then what? mark all following transactions as unreconciled, then
re-reconcile each period again?  I think the thought of trying to do that
is what makes us decide to just enter some sort of adjustment and forget
about fixing history.  Unfortunately, that may cause errors in the running
balance.

I hope the spell checker didn't change any of my comments.

David Carlson

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 4:36 PM David Cousens <davidcousens at bigpond.com>
wrote:

> Jack,
>
> If both the starting balance and the ending balance do not agree with the
> statement being reconciled against, then the reconciliation for that period
> is actually invalid. The most likely reason for this to occur is entry of a
> new transaction or deletion of a previously reconciled transaction in a
> prior reconciliation period but there may be more subtle problems. A
> transaction being entered incorrectly with a date in the far past (mistyped
> date then saved) is another common problem.  These unreconciled
> transactions
> usually come up in the reconcilation window at the top of the panes if they
> are outside the current reconciliation period. i don't know if Gnucash
> places a limit on how far back it searches for unreconciled splits in the
> account being reconciled though.
>
> The only solution is to go back to a point where the starting and ending
> balances are both in agreement for the period being reconciled, then
> reconcile forward again, making sure you get agreement of both balances for
> each reconciliation period and fix any errors on the way through.
>

> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens
> --