[GNC] Reconciliation

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Nov 21 19:33:01 EST 2019

I think it shouldn’t under normal use/circumstances.

But if you later entered/edited transactions with a date prior to 9/30, then that *might* cause this. GnuCash will look to see what the balance was on 9/30 and that will now be different then it was when you reconciled. As long as the last reconciliation was correct (you marked all transactions in GnuCash that also appeared on your statement, and there were no missing transactions in GnuCash) then there shouldn’t be any worry as that pre-dated transaction (or multiples) were not part of the original data from the bank anyway. (they hadn’t cleared yet)

If you aren’t either editing, adding or deleting transactions with a date prior to the last reconciliation, then the last closing balance *should* be the next starting balance.

There might be other causes, but I can’t think of any.

Maybe someone who’s familiar with the code where that starting balance is derived from can shed some light.

Regards,
Adrien