[GNC] Reconciliation

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Nov 21 19:41:58 EST 2019

It shouldn’t change without edits.

My understanding is the starting balance is the last closing balance. The ‘guessed’ new closing balance is the net of all transactions that aren’t reconciled added to that starting balance.

The dates are irrelevant as far as I understand.

So if your last closing balance was $1000 on 10/31/19 and you click the Reconcile button, you should get a starting balance of $1000.

*But* if there is an unreconciled transaction from 2017, (due to edit or original omission) for say, $100, then the new starting balance will be adjusted by it, even though it is long prior to the last reconciliation date. This makes sense, as it is an unreconciled transaction that now, you are presumably going to reconcile. So in that case, your starting balance should be $900 even though your last closing balance was $1000. Because if you start at $1000, you’ll be off in your new closing balance when you check off that historical transaction.

Regards,
Adrien