[GNC] Locked out of gnucash

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Nov 25 12:44:55 EST 2019

Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> writes:

>> Again, if user A has a data file open, user B shouldn't also open
>> the file. I don't see how a check for Gnucash instances could work
>> to prevent precisely this problem, since my machine won't have any
>> Gnucash instances running--but the file IS being used.
>
> I agree, using the PID won’t work, because although GnuCash is not
> (yet) a multi-user app, some people do use it from various machines
> with the file stored on a network. A PID check won’t mean anything to
> one machine when that PID belongs to a different machine.

Using a "machine-name + PID" will absolutely work, because:
1) If the machine-name is the local machine, you can check the PID and
   if the PID is not gnucash, you know it was an unclean exist.

2) If the machine-name is the local machine, you can check the PID and
   if the PID IS gnucash, you know there is another running instance.

3) If the machine-name is NOT the local machine, then you cannot
   differentiate what's going on and should ask.  Most likely it IS open,
   but there's no good way to tell.

The good news is that #1 and #2 ARE the most common use-cases today, so
we should implement that.

> Regards,
> Adrien

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745