[GNC] Moving from Sage Accounting and would like to keep sub-account totals viewable

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Mon Nov 25 14:21:27 EST 2019

On 11/25/19 7:16 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Derek,
>>
>> If what you call a rolling balance is what I call a running balance,  then I
>> think that the account register view will show that when it is sorted in
>> chronological order.  In fact, as others have already noted, you can see that
>> in your top level accounts.  Where you won't see it is in mixed commodity/
>> mixed currency cases such as stock brokerage accounts or other mixed currency
>> accounts. For those cases it is necessary to use a report that can evaluate
>> appropriate exchange rates.
> Yes, rolling/running balance.  However, while there is a balance column
> being displayed, it might not show the *correct* balance because each
> split shown has a precomputed balance for the actual account it is tied
> to.  This balance is recomputed whenever a split in the account is
> modified.  However, it is NOT computed in real-time for display.
>
> So when you do a "Open Subaccounts" view, it is not recomputing the
> balance including everything, but rather it is still showing the
> pre-computed balance of the split's account balance for that split.
>
> It *MAY* look correct at some points in time, but in general, no, it is
> not.
>
>> David Carlson
> -derek

I understand the legacy reasons for doing this, but as a corporate DBA
(Oracle), I find this troubling.  Running balances should never be
stored!  Again, I understand why legacy systems do this but we now have
enough horsepower in the CPU and back-end database systems to alleviate
the need.  Hopefully as GnC is migrated to a multi-user database
back-end system, this will be redesigned.

--Steve