[GNC] How can I add statement balances to my accounts as checks?

Arman Schwarz armanschwarz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 02:19:10 EDT 2019

Thanks Adrien,

I think it's the "if you aren't careful" part of the reconciliation
philosophy that I don't like, but I think your message helped me understand
the intended workflow with GnuCash.

Just to explain my first comment; Reconciliation seems to depend on the
user checking that transactions are correct, and if a mistake is made, it's
unlikely that it will be caught in future. For example, if I enter a
transaction from July 10, 2019 with the incorrect date of July 10, 2010,
then I will just have thrown off 9 years worth of transactions. If I happen
not to notice this mistake during reconciliation (which is not unthinkable,
since I made the mistake in the first place) then I'll probably never catch
it unless I happen to reconcile old balances (which I'll never do).

The issue with "be careful when reconciling" is that if I could be so
careful as not to make mistakes, I wouldn't need reconciliation in the
first place. Well, that's not entirely true, I suppose reconciliation would
then still be helpful in that it would catch mistakes made by the bank or
some other third party. Maybe that's what I'm missing - that reconciliation
isn't intended to catch user errors, just third party errors?

Either way, balances are useful pieces of information that GnuCash is
throwing away. I may end up writing a bash/python script combined with
Christopher's suggestion to implement these assertions myself. If I do I'll
post the result but I don't really have enough (any) expertise with GnuCash
to know whether such a feature could be implemented in the software itself.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for clarifying for me.