[GNC] Please suggest approach to track a category of disbursements

ornd25 at tutanota.com ornd25 at tutanota.com
Wed Oct 2 10:35:21 EDT 2019

> I would use placeholder accounts under some sort of Assets:Investments top
> level structure to record funds whose tax treatments was different.  You
> could use the description/memo fields to cross reference funds transferred
> between the different categories of investment as you suggest with a
> searchable keyword.  Using an intermediate account really doesn't add
> anything unless the taxation on exit status could be maintained for those
> funds on reinvestment. A transaction report where you specify the
> placeholder and subaccounts for your IRA accounts in the Accounts tab and
> also specify displaying the transfer account, sorted on transfer account,
> date etc should give you a record of the transactions to and from the IRA
> fund account(s). It can be saved as a custom  user report for reuse and
> exported and modified further as required.
>
> David Cousens

David, thanks, some of your comments were a little over my head, but I think I understand that you don’t believe I can accomplish what I want with an account - I have about come to that conclusion myself - and I should approach the problem with a Transaction Report. Unfortunately, when I reviewed the Help Manual on Reports I found it to be really heavy going. Is there somewhere I can read beginner-level Report documentation?