[GNC] Outstanding Check Problem

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 3 17:52:38 EDT 2019

On 10/3/19 1:29 PM, Matthew Lybanon wrote:
> This is more of an accounting question than a GnuCash question; what I would like to know is how to handle this within GnuCash. I???m sure that this situation isn???t unique, and there is probably a standard way of handling it in accounting.
>
> I am maintaining the checkbook for a club account. Several months ago I wrote a check to a member. He deposited the check, and the institution where he deposited  the check collected the money. But because of some mistake within the banking system (not my mistake, not his mistake), the money came from somewhere other than the account from which the check was issued???the one I am using GnuCash to keep records for. (If it was charged to another account at the issuing bank, the account holder hasn???t noticed the discrepancy.)
>
> That means that my records differ from the bank???s records by the amount of the check; everything else has cleared. Unless by some miracle the banking system straightens this out, my records will differ from the bank???s records forever. Is there a clean way to handle this, other than simply deleting that check from my (GnuCash) records and pretending it never existed?

I am surprised you are experiencing this problem. I thought I was the
only one. I write a check to an educational organization. They send me a
receipt indicating that they received the check. Quarterly they send me
a benefit publication. But it never clears my bank.

I live in the USA and the organization is in London, England. I thought
this might be a problem with the SWIFT organization. It has happened
several more times with them. I wrote them a letter about it once, but
since they have received the money, they do not care.

This has happened with a USA educational organization once or twice as well.

I now contribute with my credit card, and have had no problems with it.

Moral: do not trust the banking system.

--
  .~.  Jean-David Beyer
  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B