[GNC] Printing checks to a pdf file

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 8 02:31:34 EDT 2019

On 2019-10-07 19:06, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I've looked through the guide without finding any information on paying
> invoices and printing the checks to a pdf file. I'd like to do this and
> transfer the .pdf to a host directly connected to the laser printer.
>
> I've not tried this using gnucash and don't recall seeing that option when
> paying bills.

Hi, Rich.

You didn't mention your operating system, so I will reply for Windows,
which is what I have. The way you do this is by installing a program
that acts like a printer as far as the OS is concerned, but prints to a
PDF file instead of paper. In other words, this is an add-on to Windows,
not an add-on to a particular application like GnuCash.

I have used CutePDF Writer(1) for longer than I can remember. Just
download it and install it like any other program. Then when you go to
print your checks, the printer selection dialog will contain a new entry
for CutePDF. Select that as the printer but don't make it the default.
CutePDF will generate the PDF and _then_ ask you to specify file name
and location, so don't worry that those choices don't appear in the
initial dialog.

(1) http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA