[GNC] Newly saved file won't load

David Mills djmills32 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 07:19:59 EDT 2019

Hi,

I've been using GNU cash for years and have loved it.

I recently upgraded my Linux from OpenSUSE 42.3 to Leap 15.1.  From memory
I was on GnuCash 2.6.  Now on 3.0-lp151.2.57

When I open an existing file (from the past release) and resave, the saved
file gets an error when opening.  The message is "There was an error
parsing the file ..."

Luckily I have a copy of the previous version.

The file is quite large: 1.9 MB as a gnucash file and 26MB once unzipped.

I have a second set of books (a different entity) that is much smaller (643
KB) and with it I can save and re-open.

I tried opening the old copy of the large file again, running a Check and
repair and then saving.  The result is the same - it won't open.

I have installed release 3.7 on a VirtualBox Windows 10 host and it is able
to load, save and re-open the files that won't open on the OpenSUSE 3.0
version.

Is there some way to resolve the issue on Linux so that I don't have to run
VirtualBox to update my accounting?

Cheers,

David.

 --