[GNC] GC Importing GC Export Format - too many credits

ornd25 at tutanota.com ornd25 at tutanota.com
Tue Oct 8 14:37:50 EDT 2019

When I import using GnuCash Export Format it brings in more splits than I requested.

This is a simple dividend reinvestment, with one Dr Asset:Mutual fund, and one Cr Income:Dividends. I ended up with the wrong number of splits and a wrong allocation follows:
Line 1 - Asset: Mutual Fund 3.026 shares
Line 2 - Income:Dividend Dr $100
Line 3 - Income:Dividend Cr $100

I created the format by actually exporting dividend reinvestment lines from the applicable account. I did not add any others by copying the first several I directly downloaded. I then changed the dates, deleted the TransactionID, price calculation, changed Reconciled to "n" and removed the reconciliation dates. The import went well with only the two accounts to link - it was just the result that was odd.

If this is just a quirk, it's simple enough to work around it by manually moving the Dr amount to the Asset:Mutual Fund line and deleting the extra Income:Dividend line, but if I'm doing something wrong or there's a way to correct it, I'd like to fix it.