[GNC] Migrate MySQL back-end from 5.7 to 8.0

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Oct 9 23:17:18 EDT 2019

> On Oct 9, 2019, at 1:28 AM, Neko Chang <epopen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, gnucash-user
>
> I've been using GNU cash for several years, thanks all very much.
> Using latest version in Windows, MacOS and FreeBSD :D
>
> I recently evaluating migrate MySQL back-end from 5.7 to 8.0.
> But I don't know GnuCash compatible with MySQL 8.0.
> I didn't find clear answer @ google.
>
> Can help my evaluation?
> Thanks all very much.

We don't know either, but the only place that has caused trouble in the past is the TIMESTAMP type, where MySQL changed the beginning value from 0 to 1, i.e. from 1970-01-01 00:00:00 to 1970-01-01 00:00:01, both UTC. We've since changed all of the fields with a TIMESTAMP type to the DATETIME type that has a much wider range of valid dates, more in line with GnuCash's internals.

Another possibility, though very unlikely, would be if MySQL has changed their client API so that the libdbi-driver would fail or do something strange.

Why don't you have a go at it and report back?

Regards,
John Ralls