[GNC] Importing a CSV with transactions in another currency

Frederico Zica fredzica at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 19:40:06 EDT 2019

Hello!

I have been using gnucash with more than one currency, but recently I got
puzzled about how to proceed with a CSV import.

In that CSV there are USD transactions while my main Gnucash currency is
not USD, and the majority of my accounts don't have USD as their currency.

I'm importing those transactions to a 'Bank' type account that is USD, but
the majority of the counterpart accounts for these transactions are
expenses accounts. These expense accounts are not in USD, so Gnucash
imports them, without issuing any warning, and assumes a 1:1 exchange rate.
Here comes the problem: I could go through all of them and set an exchange
rate, but that would consume a lot of time.

The ideal solution for me would be Gnucash asking me what would be the
conversion rate that I expected for ALL the imported transactions only one
time, or simply assuming the current conversion rate.

I see right now a couple solutions to this:

   1. Duplicating all the expenses account I have in my main currency as
   USD accounts - that would work but would unnecessarily create a lot of
   additional accounts
   2. Setting the exchange rate each time I do it - would be really
   time-consuming

Are there better ways of doing this?

Thanks!