[GNC] Error message

D sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 14 09:55:33 EDT 2019

Hi,

Please keep the list in the loop by copying Gnucash users.

I would look in the Scheduled Transaction Editor. There is some transaction there, I believe, which is named CHECKING STATEMENT. This scheduled transaction includes an entry that refers to an account by its (hidden) GUID*, which no longer exists in your file. You must change that transaction so that it refers to an account currently in your Chart of Accounts. Rather than reverse engineer the GUID by searching the data file for that GUID, I would simply delete all the template transactions in that scheduled transaction and recreate them anew, which will correct the reference.

To return to your original question, your data will most likely not suffer from this error; whatever scheduled transaction you had will not get created, however.

HTH,
David

* Transaction entries store an account's GUID, rather than an account name. So, were you to examine your raw Gnucash data, you would see a 32 character code, instead of "Assets:Checking". This allows you to rename accounts without screwing up all your historical data. Thus, your renaming of this account would not break the Scheduled Transaction, I believe. The way you break your system is more convoluted, and involves deleting accounts and creating new one with the same human-readable name.