[GNC] How to set a customer "opening balance" for the Customer Report

James Thorpe James at fusionsystems.co.za
Mon Oct 14 14:49:53 EDT 2019

Hi All

My financial year started on 1st March 2019. My customer at that stage,
owed 67,765.23.

I tried to seed this amount in my Equity:Opening Balances account with
the corresponding account being Assets:Accounts Receivable. This seemed
like a sensible way of opening the accounts.

However, because I don't have the invoice in the system, when the
payment comes in, if "assign as payment" and select the customer, then
the payment is associated with the customer but the opening balance is
not so the customer starts 67,765.23 in credit.

I could, of course, just not associate the payment with the customer,
and then my AR account should balance but my customer report will just
not include this detail.

Is there any way I can have an opening balance that I can associate with
a customer... the same way I would with an invoice? I don't want to
create an invoice because that would duplicate a document from another
system.

Any ideas?

thanks

James Thorpe