[GNC] Font problem

Paul de Vries paul.de.vries at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 16 14:52:04 EDT 2019

I don't know about any other GTK3 program. I checked 'https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTK' but I don't recognize anything.

> #3 - this might be a known issue with webkit on MacOS, but a sample result image might help to narrow it down. I’ve seen threads discussing this problem on the bottom line of a page, but not within the page.
>>
>> see above
>
> It seems the problems are `n`, `u`, and `m` with the left side of the glyph having the issue. I don’t see any other glyphs with issues that stand out —very strange.

>>> Finally, try different fonts, including the default, and see what the printed result looks like.
>>
>> I tried different fonts in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Gnucash/config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
>> but it seems to have no effect on the 'Print Invoice' button result window, or on error messages.
>
> So any font you choose mangles those three letters? Do other fonts mangle other letters?

No, any font I specify in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Gnucash/config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css is OK.

> I’m thinking this might well be a GTK issue. Do you still have this problem after uninstalling GTK3 via MacPorts?

Same with and without.

> What IS the default font on a mac, so that I can check it for errors?
>
> Unfortunately, Apple hides it from us. It is ’San Francisco’ by name, but you can’t see it in FontBook and it isn’t selectable in apps. (best I can tell)

I have 'SFNS Display' in Font Book, and it doesn't look like the system font.

> But I think the default stylesheets in GnuCash use Arial. Maybe give that a try. Also, simply commenting out your font declaration in the CSS file will restore the app’s default for the UI.

The font use for 'print invoice, error messages, etc' is not affected by the gtk.css, where is it defined?