[GNC] Font problem

Paul de Vries paul.de.vries at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 17 12:13:30 EDT 2019

>>> So any font you choose mangles those three letters? Do other fonts mangle other letters?
>>
>> No, any font I specify in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Gnucash/config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css is OK.
>
> Ah, I was misreading, sorry. I also was misunderstanding the original post. The `*` selector should mean the font rule will apply to all elements in the app’s UI. (which would include error messages in dialogs) But the printed reports have defined stylesheets that provide their own font declarations. Check to see what those are set for and which stylesheet is being used, try other fonts and see if the problem persists.
>

> Also, while technically it should work either way, the wiki page on Configuration Locations notes TWO config locations: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations#GNC_CONFIG_HOME
>
> GNC_CONFIG_HOME for MacOS is:
>
> HOME/Library/Application Support/GnuCash
>
> GTK_CONFIG_HOME is:
>
> HOME/Library/Application Support/GnuCash/config/gtk-3.0
>
> Notice that one is 2 levels down. I have my custom CSS file in the first one and it works fine. I’ve never tried putting it in the gtk-3.0 directory.
>

> The wiki GTK3 page recommends using the first one as well: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Typefaces

GTK_CONFIG_HOME:
HOME/Library/Application Support/GnuCash/config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
does affect the general UI but not error meesages and 'print invoice' button.

GNC_CONFIG_HOME:
HOME/Library/Application Support/GnuCash/gtk-3.0.css [https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Typefaces]
does exactly the same.

No differences between placing css in GNC_CONFIG_HOME or GTK_CONFIG_HOME.

> So that is eliminated, I’m still leaning towards a corrupt font file.
>
> 1. Open FontBook.app
> 2. Select ‘All Fonts’ in the sidebar
> 3. Click one font in the list, then CMD-A to ’select-all’
> 4. File > Validate Fonts
>
> This will check all of your font files for errors or problems and report which ones are bad/problematic. You can then delete or disable those fonts. If you find any and delete/disable them, then restart GnuCash and see if the problem persists.

lots of duplicates, all were disabled, now removed.
minor warnings for Bauhaus 93 (1), DYMO Symbols (1), Tamburo (1)
restarted mac, restarted gnucash. nothing has changed.

[..default font skipped..]

> As for the printable reports - fonts are defined in stylesheets within GnuCash., not in the config directories or a custom app-wide CSS file. (as noted above) You can create your own or edit existing ones. (including the default stylesheet)

I do accounting for all my family members, they each have different logo's etc> I made personal modifications to a copy of these reports. no problem at all.

> See Edit > Style Sheets for editing them, and Options > General for stylesheet assignment for that report.
>
> I’m not clear what you mean by ‘error messages, etc.’ Dialogs are controlled by the UI and that *should* be affected by a `*` CSS selector. (though GTK3 CSS doesn’t always play nice like web CSS)

I have a new screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/JW2kTrh
It shows my css-specified font menlo but the error message has the same problem font.

> Troubleshooting font issues can be quite a rabbit hole at times.

But you WILL visit Wonderland!

> Regards,
> Adrien

Thanks,