[GNC] GnuCash v2.6.19-1 has started freezing on Ubuntu 18.04 after a recent system update

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Oct 17 16:00:22 EDT 2019

> On Oct 17, 2019 w42d290, at 2:18 PM, Parke <parke.nexus at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 12:17 AM Adrien Monteleone
> <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
>> Sorry, I was confusing things. It was libboost that was updated in bionic which should make building 3.7 easier. But I haven’t tried it in a while.
>
> I realized another option might be to rebuild GnuCash 2.6.19 on an
> updated 18.04.
>
> However, (a) I cannot readily reproduce the freeze and (b) Ubuntu
> 19.10 has been released.  So I am likely to jump to 19.10, rather than
> trying to diagnose the freeze on 18.04.

Certainly, that would be the easiest path to a likely working version. The choice depends on your investigative curiosity level.

>> That depends on how you did the update. If by apt in a terminal, there are several ways to see the upgrade/full-upgrade history.
>>
>> You can view, grep, tail, etc. on:
>> /var/log/apt/history.log
>> /var/log/dpkg.log
>
> I used apt-get dist-upgrade, possibly preceded by apt-get upgrade.  It
> looks like the information is logged in the files you mention.

If you really wanted to track this down, you could grep the various 2.6.x dependencies against those logs to see if any of them were updated in the time interval that would account for the change in behavior. That of course could be scripted if you don’t want to do them one at a time. (Has someone created such a script already? That would be mighty handy.)

While 2.6.x won’t get any updates, there might still be people running it since 18.04 will be around for another 3+ years. (and there are derivative distros based on it)

The fix might be in rolling back a dependency update and pinning it at that working version.

The downside here is multiple dependencies could have been updated. So without some debugging/error info reported in the tracefile, stderr or elsewhere, you’d have to roll them all back, pin all but one, and then manually update one each at a time until you find the culprit. (and then it might be a combo of culprits!)

Really, you’ll need some actual error message to go any further if more than one was updated. (and certainly if none were)

Regards,
Adrien