[GNC] How to Export Search Results to CSV file?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 18:29:07 EDT 2019

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 5:05 PM Fran_3 via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> When I run a search on checking and get the results listed in a new
> gnuCash Tab named "Search Results"
> How can I export those Search Results to a CSV file?
> When I click on File > Export
> I am unsure if any of the four options listed will do it.

First of all, I'm assuming you are using the latest version, GnuCash 3.7.
Older versions of GnuCash may possibly behave differently. I am going to
describe menu items; you may also use keyboard shortcuts.

You have searched and found what you are looking for using

Edit --> Find

Your search results are in the ACTIVE tab. While your search results are
active,

File --> Export  -> Export Active Register to CSV

I believe this is what you are asking for.

BY THE WAY, in older versions of GnuCash (and still in the most recent
versions) you can also export data by creating a report. After creating the
report you can export by copy-pasting from what's on your screen OR by
saving as an html file and opening that file. You can use the data in a
spreadsheet program (such as LibreOffice Calc) or word processor (such as
LibreOffice Writer).

While the search results are active, choose

Reports --> Account Report

While the Report tab is active, you can choose

File --> Export --> Export Report

(The Export Report option also appears in the toolbar, just below the menu
bar.)