[GNC] Backporting Gnucash 3.7 to Ubuntu "Bionic" (or Mint, etc.)

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 16:37:40 EDT 2019

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 5:14 PM Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net> wrote:

> Note that you can also use flatpak to get it.
>
> sudo apt install flatpak
> flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash

Thank you for the reminder!

The flatpak may work for some folks, and it is certainly easy to install.

Sadly, the flatpak has some important disadvantages. It requires more RAM
(memory) to operate, which didn't work well on my older system with limited
RAM. I also had some issues with flatpak sandboxing -- I keep my GnuCash
data files stored in a way that were not accessible to the flatpak when I
tried. (Though I feel sure I can move the data files if I need to.)

P.S.: There's also a snap version of GnuCash. Unfortunately it's outdated
now -- identified as version "2.6.21a," and the person who published it
called the snap "gnucash-jz." I wrote the packager to ask about plans to
update it, and apparently they had trouble packaging the newer versions. I
presume that process might become easier with the recent refinements to
GnuCash. But I also expect the snap version may have disadvantages similar
to the flatpak.

-----