[GNC] How to set a customer "opening balance" for the Customer Report

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Oct 20 07:21:23 EDT 2019

James,

James Thorpe <James at fusionsystems.co.za> writes:

> I didn't want to create invoices at all because
> a) I didn't want to duplicate documents that existed in a different
> financial period
> b) I didn't want to create entries in the Income:Sales table because
> these entries show up in the Trial Balance report even if they're not
> in the current financial period.

How are you creating the new data file?  This actually begs the question
of *WHY* you are creating a new data file, because GnuCash certainly
does not require it.  Moreover, as you see, the business features don't
really work well across split files.

However, IMHO, if you are creating a new data file then duplicating
outstanding invoices in the new file would be perfectly appropriate.

> So what I was after was a way to create opening balance entries in
> Accounts Receivable that also tied to a particular customer so they'd
> be picked up in the various Customer Reports.
>
> It seems this is not possible so I've settled for creating the
> invoices as duplicates but "fixing" b) by also creating journal
> entries in "Opening Balances" that cancel the entries in the
> Income:Sales

As you surmised, this is not possible.  You will need to create an
invoice to give your customer an opening balance.

> Provided I do that before the begining of my financial period start,
> all reports look correct.
>
> Thanks
> James

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745