[GNC] Change edit account mutual fund Security/Currency value

ornd25 at tutanota.com ornd25 at tutanota.com
Mon Oct 21 09:25:33 EDT 2019

Is there a way to change the “Security/Currency” value of a mutual fund after transactions have been added to the account?

Apparently, while creating a sub-account for a mutual fund I made an error on the New/Edit Account->General->Identification->Security/Currency. I selected the wrong mutual fund name from among a list of my mutual funds. I then added transactions to that account. Now the Accounts tab shows “100.234AAAAA” instead of 100.234BBBBB.” I cannot change it to the right name on the Edit Accounts page - “This account contains transactions. Changing this option is not possible.”

Pending a better approach, I will save-as an experimental version of GnuCash, export the account, then delete the transactions and change the Security/Currency value to “BBBBB,” and then attempt to re-import the transactions. The investment import function is pretty buggy, so it may not work or work badly and I’ll have to add back the transactions manually, which would be another source of potential error. There are about 25 transactions, so it isn't the end of the world if I have to do it manually.

I’d certainly prefer a way to change the “Security/Currency” value  rather than do all that.