[GNC] Why I create a new datafile each year for GnuCash

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 21 10:01:48 EDT 2019

On 2019-10-21 09:40, Derek Atkins wrote:
> James Thorpe <James at fusionsystems.co.za> writes:
>>
>> a) Fear of corrupting previous year's transactions
>>
>> Once my financials are done for the year and reported on, I do not
>> wish to inadvertently enter or modify a historical transaction that
>> will result in the same reports producing different results. It is
>> easy in GnuCash to enter a transaction with a date for a previous
>> financial year or, mistakenly change the date of an existing
>> transaction without noticing it.

You can avoid that by File » Properties.

Unfortunately, you have to update that property every ... single ...
day, because "day threshold for read-only transactions" doesn't let you
enter a date, only a number of days offset. So if you calculate that
today is the 294th day of the year, and set the threshold to 294 so that
none of last year's transactions can be altered, when you open your GC
file tomorrow it will allow alterations of Jan. 1 this year; the next
day Jan. 1 and 2; and so on.

That rather odd design choice is in 2.6.x; I don't know whether it's in 3.x.

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
https://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com