[GNC] Why I create a new datafile each year for GnuCash

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Mon Oct 21 17:03:49 EDT 2019

To me the main driver of a single data file approach is the ability to create
reports with multi-period comparisons of the data. To be able to do this in
a year by year with separate file approach GnuCash would have to have the
ability to either keep multiple sets of books open simultaneously or
sequentially access the separate files to extract the required data to
construct such a report. Clearly not impossible but much easier on the
programming side with a multi year file where all the data is accessible.

The good thing is that GnuCash can be operated in whatever manner suits the
user, a flexibility many other programs don't have

-----
David Cousens