[GNC] [GNC-dev] Gnucash built from git doesn't start

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Oct 22 23:14:29 EDT 2019

My understanding was that some distros have already started their plans to do away with /usr/local and retain it as a symlink for backwards compatibility for now.

The very old days, /usr *was* ‘user’ but that has long since changed as individual user directories are now in /home.

/usr is for system binaries that are part of the distribution

/usr/local became a place to put your own *system* customizations. (say, install a different shell)

/opt was for user-land software not part of the default distribution

/usr/local is subject to getting stomped on by distribution updates, and might even disappear entirely in the future.

/opt seems to be the safe system-wide place to install your own builds. (I personally use this)

There is also always any path in /home or ~/, for stuff you want only your own user to be able to run.

It has been a few moons since I traversed that web rabbit hole though. Things might have changed.

Of course, if something works for you, there is no need to change it.

Regards,
Adrien