[GNC] MacOS Catalina Gnucash 3.7 won't start

Chris Martin clm1492 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 15:17:42 EDT 2019

Dear all,
     I've researched the mailing list and the bug lists and seem to have
run into a problem that is not described there.  After updating MacOS to
Catalina, my existing gnucash application would just hang when started
without opening any windows or returning any error messages.  Thinking that
this was just because I was using an older version of gnucash I downloaded
gnucash 3.7 and copied it from the dmg into my Applications folder.  When I
tried to start it now, still the icon would just bounce and bounce with no
windows or error message.  Eventually, after a few minutes, it stopped
bouncing and the os labeled the process as "not responding".  Further
puzzled, I force-quit and tried running it from the command line.
./Gnucash didn't return any error messages, so in the interest of trying to
get a trace file I started adding command-line options.  Even when I run
./Gnucash --debug --extra I still get no output on stdout, stderr, nor a
trace file and the process just hangs and never terminates on its own.
Eventually, I have to kill it with cntrl-c.  I've tried downgrading to
gnucash 3.5 and 3.6 but I get exactly the same result.  In Systems
Preferences, I've given gnucash "Full Disk Access" just in case Catalina's
new disk security scheme was blocking it ... alas no change.  As a
last-ditch effort I tried running it with sudo, but no luck there either.
     I'm confused and puzzled and would welcome any suggestions that any of
you might have.

Thanks in advance!,
      Chris