[GNC] Bookkeeping for a club's charity account - use business features?

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 14:00:14 EDT 2019

After looking at various ways of recording members’ individual contributions (using multiple children of Income: accounts), and examined the scope for simplifying data entry from using the Business Features, I’ve decided the answer to my question is “No”!

It’s much simpler to use a spreadsheet for recording the individual contributions which occur frequently during the year and enter only the totals for each destination in GnuCash. If I stick to that sequence (spreadsheet first, then totals to GnuCash) the two records should remain in step, and the annual report for Gift Aid can be derived from the spreadsheet.

I had hoped to be able to keep all of the records in one place (a single GnuCash file), but it didn’t work out.

In the meantime, I have learned a little about the use of Import and Export as a way of bulk-entering regular but variable transactions, and was puzzled to find that GnuCash sometimes can't Import a file it’s recently Exported. I’d used the Export to CSV to determine the columns titles used, but apparently these aren’t the same as the columns required for Import.

Above all, I’ve benefited from the generous support and advice of members of the GnuCash community - many thanks to all!

Regards,

Michael